Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Our New Life


So we are busy, busy, busy adjusting to our new life as a bigger family. Things aren't too different now, but it is definitely harder getting out of the house with two babies as opposed to one. I can count on being late if I need to go somewhere without Erik.







Erik and I are getting used to this pretty quickly, except I have some major ups and downs. It's almost like being pregnant still, because some days I have nonstop energy and get everything I need to do finished and more. Then there are the days where I am so tired and can't function without a nap and doze every time I feed Wyatt; not to mention I am unable to get up from the couch and get going about my business. I am not sure why this is.


Preston LOVES his little brother! Every time I turn around he is standing at Wyatt's chair squealing at him and he also kisses him constantly. There is only one bad thing about this: he likes to press his teeth on Wyatt's face as he kisses and sometimes even bites him. On more than one occasion, I hear screaming and can be sure that Preston has just bit his brother. I don't think he does it on purpose... Well at least I hope not.
Wyatt is a wonderfully easy baby, just like Preston was! I've gotten so lucky with both of my boys! He has slept through the night since day one (I have to wake him up around 2), takes good naps, and is gaining weight nicely. He is a happy little guy always except for the last couple of days he seems to have trouble nursing. After about 30 seconds, he will pull away and fuss, cry, turn red... He gets frustrated to say the least and takes a lot less milk than normal.




It hasn't happened every time he eats, but it is kind of scary to me since I don't really know much about nursing since Preston wasn't able to. I have checked him for thrush, tried to give him a break as my milk lets down, I also have been giving him gas drops hoping to fix the issue but nothing has really worked yet. I'm thinking it's reflux. Does anyone have any helpful hints or ideas?

2 comments:

  1. I would say just be determined! So many times I wanted to stop nursing, Rebecca was a terrible eater at first, and wouldn't eat much either. She would rather sleep than eat for about 3 months. I was so worried, but everyone told me not to worry, she WILL eat when she gets hungry enough. And as long as she is gaining weight, it's ok. So I guess I would just pass that on to you! Don't stress, just be patient (with him AND yourself), do what you can to make him comfortable, and in time you will both be nursing pros! It takes time to learn and doesn't come as naturally as you always hear. I hated it for about 9 months and told myself I would endure for a year and ended up doing it for 18 months! So you never know. Like everything, it gets better with time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could check with your local LaLeche League. They are really helpful. They told me to drip formula down my breast as my daughter was nursing until she got the hang of it and that worked... you could pump yourself a bit first and use that. It could also be that you are too engorged for him to get a good grip and pumping a bit first would help that too.

    ReplyDelete